Modern homes are extremely functional due to the fact that they’re fitted with a variety of complex systems. However, those systems need to be well-maintained if homes are to be kept in top-notch condition, and that’s especially true for gutters and drainage. Gutters exist to make sure homes don’t sustain any water damage, but they can become damaged themselves if they’re not cleaned thoroughly.
Gutters protect homes by ensuring rainwater can’t enter through the windows, doors and walls, and they also make sure rainwater is cleared from the home’s foundations as to avoid potentially irreversible structural damage. Of course, no matter how well-maintained gutters are, they are going to need replacing from time to time. That’s why it’s a good idea to choose only the very best companies for gutter replacement in Perth because that way, homeowners can depend on their new gutters lasting for years to come.
However, though it’s highly recommended to utilise the professionals such as the ones found at gutters-perth.com.au for gutter replacements, some homeowners will choose to clean their existing gutters by themselves before the new ones are installed. This article will talk about how to clean existing gutters before the replacements arrive.
Preparing for Replacement Gutters
Those who are intending to clean their existing gutters before new ones arrive should be aware it can be quite messy. Here’s how to clean gutters and avoid getting covered in dirt.
- Wear thick gloves – It’s important to wear work heavy gloves to make sure there are no injuries caused by sharp edges or outward sticking nails. Plus, homeowners won’t get their hands and arms covered in dirt if they’re wearing large gloves.
- Wear old clothes – During the process of cleaning, it’s important to remember that dirt can get everywhere, which is why it’s advisable to wear old clothing.
- Don’t lean ladders against the gutters – In some situations, leaning a ladder against a gutter can cause the gutter to detach, and that could result in a huge mess all over the garden and the homeowner.
- Try to clear the drainpipe with a high-pressure hose – It may be necessary to use a plumber’s auger to unclog drainpipes from the bottom, but it’ll be much less messy if any obstructions can be forced through from above with a high-pressure hose.
- Have a bucket at the ready – Most homeowners find there’s more grime in their gutters than expected, so it’s best to have a bucket to hand to fill with all the loose debris and dirt.
- Aim the hose towards the drainpipe when blasting the gutter – Needless to say, the best way to avoid a mess when spraying the gutter is to aim the hose towards to the drainpipe.
Cleaning gutters in preparation for new gutters to be installed isn’t as easy as many people might think. That’s why those who want to ensure everything goes as smoothly as possible might be better off simply letting the professionals do the hard work instead.